A new year means new Sea of Thieves content to look forward to, in the form of the Legends of the Sea update! This latest treasure trove of activities and changes is an ode to the wonderful community that’s built up around Sea of Thieves since launch and the stories that it’s birthed. We’ll let the trailer tell you the rest!
Read the full release notes below for a comprehensive breakdown on everything Legends of the Sea has in store! Should you encounter any issues not acknowledged here, please head to the Sea of Thieves support site and raise a support request (using the button at the bottom of any article) to let the team know.
LEGENDS OF THE SEA
After hearing rumours of undocumented legends from the Sea of Thieves, a new adventurer has made the journey through the Devil’s Shroud. The Lagoon of Whispers has become the new home of Umbra, a chronicler of legendary pirates.
LEGENDS OF THE SEA – RELEASE NOTES
- Legends of the Sea – Umbra has begun compiling a list of rumours and tales of legendary pirates, and now tasks players with unravelling their secrets. A new collection in the Bilge Rats Reputation tab has been added for Legends of the Sea – follow the clues and uncover the locations spread across the Sea of Thieves.
- Cosmetic ‘Appraisal’ – Umbra has heard of certain cosmetics having a special story to tell. Seek out these special cosmetics and equip them before talking to Umbra to learn a little more about their backstory.
- Legacy of the Sea – Along with tales of legendary pirates, Umbra has also begun chronicling tales from the storied past of the Sea of Thieves. Revisit locations from historical events to unlock this ever-growing legacy!
- Legends of the Sea Commendations and Rewards – Each legendary mark on the world has been catalogued into collections, with Commendations to earn for each story. Uncover stories from ‘The Sea’s Most Wanted’, The Daredevils’, ‘The Loveable Rogues’, ‘The Insatiable’, ‘The Swashbucklers’, ‘The Artistic Souls’, ‘The Piratical Jokers’, ‘The Pirate Scribes’, ‘The Gift Givers’ and the ‘The Early Settlers’ to unlock Doubloon rewards and new tattoos themed to each collection, available from Umbra once unlocked!
Stitcher Jim has suddenly vanished, and left in his place the ever-faithful Duke. Yes, after a particularly dangerous encounter, Duke has returned – a little bashed and scratched up, but with a tale to tell as always…
GILDED VOYAGES – RELEASE NOTES
Duke is now offering a free Gilded Voyage which will earn pirates a range of high-value rewards, and even the allure of double rewards should they venture to The Reaper’s Hideout and cash them in with the Masked Stranger.
Duke has also heard rumours of a new volume of Tomes appearing across the seas: the Tomes of Fire. With new Commendations and Ashen Cosmetics to earn, seek out Ashen Chests and Ashen Keys to unlock the rewards held inside!
- Gilded Voyages – Duke is offering pirates a single Gilded Voyage apiece. Choose from a Gilded Hoard, Gilded Merchant Stash or Gilded Duel Voyage to earn high-value rewards! Pirate Legends can also choose a Gilded Voyage of Legends leading to multiple Chests of Legends.
All Gilded Voyages are time-limited for the duration of the Legends of the Sea update.
- Reaper’s Bounty – There have recently been sightings of new glittering pillars of light reaching skyward. Upon reaching the source, pirates can pick up a Reaper’s Bounty! This acts like a Reaper’s Chest, but cashing it into the Masked Stranger at The Reaper’s Hideout will reward players with a fine haul of gold. Following the Legends of the Sea update, the Reaper’s Bounty and gold rewards will persist as an emergent encounter in the world.
- Reaper’s Chest Cash-In Location and Payout – Duke warns players he is no longer accepting Reaper’s Chests and directs players to deliver them to the Masked Stranger at The Reaper’s Hideout. Due to the enhanced threat when delivering to this new location, pirates will now be rewarded with more Doubloons for each chest!
- Double Gold at The Reaper’s Hideout – Pirates can now sell Captain’s Chests, Villainous Skulls, Crates of Exotic Silks, Chests of Legends and even Ashen Chests of Legends to the Masked Stranger at The Reaper’s Hideout for double gold!
- Ashen Treasures Commendations and Rewards: Volume 3 – Duke and the Outpost stores both have new stocks of Ashen cosmetics, rewarding pirates for collecting the next volume of Ashen Tomes hidden inside recovered Ashen Chests. In the Legends of the Sea update, Tomes of Fire can be recovered, allowing access to new Commendations and cosmetics including items from the clothing, weapon, item and ship sets. Tomes of Curses and Tomes of Power can still be found too, allowing access to previous Ashen cosmetics.
All Ashen Treasures Commendations and rewards will become a permanent addition to Outpost stores after the Legends of the Sea update.
- Ashen Treasures Achievements – A range of Xbox achievements has been added for unlocking in-game Commendations. A total of 35 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and these achievements will persist in the game for future updates.
Tome of Fire I [5G]
Tome of Fire II [5G]
Tome of Fire III [5G]
Tome of Fire IV [5G]
Tome of Fire V [5G]
Tome of Fire Collector [10G]
in other news